Monday, February 11, 2008

Wait, is that water covering the stage?

Alright, I admit I don't study theater, but I have seen a lot of plays, both in the states and in Munich, and I believe the shows here will open your eyes to a new level of possibilities in set design. Things can really get over the top, especially at the opera house. I went on this trip last year (and it was amazing), and when I saw plays and operas sometimes I accidentally stopped paying attention to the actors because the set was so interesting (and sometimes just plain weird. A wall of mirrors and a toilet as a set? Huh?).
There are traditional sets as well, of course, but the crazy ones really make my day.
So yes. Weird things! Awesome things!


Oh, and here's a picture from the inside of the opera house (where I guess you're not supposed to take pictures? Whoops):


I took this from my fifth-balcony nosebleed seat. But you know what? No matter where you sit in this place, you feel kinda fancy.

-Brianne (that girl who's in Munich right now)

1 comment:

janet said...

You are right! The sets are almost always amazing. My favorite sets are usually at the Münchner Volkstheater and the Kammerspiele and, of course, the Nationaltheater. I've also seen plays with no set, though, that were really good (and they force one to pay attention to the acting!